Official: Cave rescue going better than expected
MAE SAI, Thailand - The official heading the operation to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand says the operation is going 'better than expected.'
Chiang Rai provincial acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn made the comment at a news conference Sunday evening after rescuers extracted four of the boys from the cave where they had been trapped for more than two weeks. Narongsak said the four were then taken to a hospital. Their condition was not immediately clear.
Narongsak said the weakest have been taken out first, and the next phase of the operation would start in 10-20 hours.
He said that 13 foreign and five Thai divers were taking part in the rescue and that two divers would accompany each boy as they're gradually extracted.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Man allegedly shot & killed girlfriend at Burbank Drive apartment complex near...
Local bars facing shortage of liquor brought on by hurricane, pandemic
Last chance for Ascension residents to sign up for hurricane debris pick-up
Former flight attendant explains how passengers survived fiery plane crash
Councilmember removed from contentious Ascension drainage meeting after shouting at attendees, colleague