North Baton Rouge businesses pitch to investors for chance at check
BATON ROUGE - Entrepreneurs in North Baton Rouge got a chance to learn from the pros as part of a workshop aimed at bolstering businesses in the area.
The goal of "Conscious Capitalism Bootcamp" is "planting new seeds of prosperity in North Baton Rouge."
"The bootcamp is sort of a look into, what does it mean to be a business that is built for more than just makin gmoney," founder Jeff Cherry said.
An all-day event, entrepreneurs learned new techniques to help their businesses thrive and add new life to the North Baton Rouge economy.
"Most of these companies, when we work with communities like North Baton Rouge, are too small for us to invest in. We're a venture captial. They're too small to invest in, but they also need capitol," Cherry said.
Their new skills were put to the test at the "Pitch North Baton Rouge" competition.
"We bring together a bunch of judges, people in the ecosystem of Baton Rouge, to judge those pitches," Cherry explained.
Each company made a pitch to investors from around the country for their chance to win $10,000. Out of ten businesses, only one walked away with the money. The winning businesses was Louisiana Health Institute.
"There's smart people everywhere, but opportunity doesn't spread everywhere," Cherry said. "So we're trying to spread opportunity in places where it may not have been so present before."
The following businesses participated in the "Conscious Capitalism Bootcamp":
- Between the Lines Bookstore - A botique African American Bookstore hoping to create a world with more productive and collaborative relationships.
- Exquisite Cleaning Professional - A locally owned and minotrity run cleaning company providing exquisite cleaning to local contractors and building managers.
- Jetstreame - An independent game studio providing game design for PC and console platforms.
- Hanger - A consolidated e-commerce marketplace for local boutiques.
- Soul Fresh Organic Company - Baton Rouge's freshest vegetable gardening service dedicated to transforming outdoor spaces into edible landscapes.
- Aroma Flame Candles - Manufacturer of scented and unscented specialty candles.
- Chic International Travel - Lifestyle brand dedicated to luxurious travel experiences.
- Louisiana Health Institute - Uniquely designed education and training that allows healthcare professionals to master all aspects of healthcare organizations.
- Tint Masters - Commercial window film sales and installations.
- The Way to Work - We help people keep jobs and companies keep people.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Parents brawl during youth baseball game after disagreeing with 13-year-old umpire
Republic Services to address trash pickup complaints in Wednesday news conference
Many look for alternatives to EBR school cuts
'They don't tell us what's going on;' Disgruntled Republic Services employee voices...
Stroke survivors using art therapy to regain motor skills, ease anxiety
'That's typical LSU;' Tailgating underway ahead of Baton Rouge Super Regional
PREVIEW: Southern breaks down Starkville Regional
LSU softball lands national No. 10 seed
Balancing Football and Track: The story of Kary Vincent Jr.
Sha'Carri Richardson's impressive impact on LSU Track and Field