New Orleans wants notice on monuments decision, cite unrest
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans says it's worried about unrest when an appeals court decides the future of Confederate-era monuments in the city and is asking the court for advance notice when a decision is imminent.
In a letter, the city's attorney, Rebecca Dietz, asks the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals for 24 to 48 hours' notice before the court releases its decision.
The letter was received and made public by the court Thursday.
Dietz says the case has received intense public scrutiny. They want the police to be prepared if the monuments become the sight of demonstrations.
The city council last year voted to remove the monuments but the issue has been held up in court. The appeals court heard arguments in September on the issue.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Jury selection expected to begin in 2018 Livingston Parish murder case
Sunday Journal: Hurricane Season 2021
Vaccine program at Alex Box gives away tickets in exchange for shots
Shots heard early Saturday morning in Tigerland
Gonzales animal shelter hopes to find homes for cats removed from hoarding...