New details suggest U.S. Marshal's murder could have been prevented
BATON ROUGE- New details obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit reveal federal authorities were alerted about a convict violating his probation last year, but did nothing.
That inaction tonight raises questions whether Jamie Croom would have killed three people if he was instead issued a parole hold while locked up last year on attempted murder charges.
That question is being posed by multiple people, who want to know why the feds took no action. It wasn't until after Croom killed a brother and sister in New Roads last month that they filed documents to have Croom's probation revoked.
"The process is such that when we learned he was on probation with the federal government, we made contact with the federal probation and parole to notify them of that fact," Pointe Coupee Parish Sheriff Bud Torres said. "They told us upon his release they would make contact with him."
That contact was never made. Croom was in custody last year for an attempted murder charge. He stayed in jail for eight months, until he pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in December.
"We went through our records and no official contact was made through our facility," Torres said.
We wanted to know why federal officials took no action, and why a parole hold was never placed on Croom after he violated conditions of his supervised release. Those conditions are specific and ordered Croom not to commit any other crimes.
We reached out to Clarence Rambo, the Chief U.S. Probation Officer for the Middle District of Louisiana, who did not return our calls again Tuesday. The Investigative Unit also requested Croom's complete probation history with the feds. We were told the Freedom of Information Requests don't apply to the federal judiciary.