New changes proposed to Louisiana property tax break program
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Gov. John Bel Edwards is again seeking to make changes to a decades-old property tax break for industrial manufacturers.
The Advocate reports that the proposal released Wednesday would return the Industrial Tax Exemption Program to a 10-year break from paying local property taxes. That's the way it had been for decades until changes made by the Edwards administration.
Under the latest proposal, instead of a complete forgiveness of property taxes, however, companies would be able to get a tax break covering 80 percent of the taxes they otherwise would owe. Companies would have to pay the remaining 20 percent of the assessed values.
The proposals have to go through a regulatory process, which allows for public input, before the Board of Commerce and Industry votes on the governor's recommended changes.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
$20 million added to lakes project to improve University Lakes
Family Road of Greater Baton Rouge helps families during baby formula shortage
Tiki Tubing owner arrested in molestation case, facing separate lawsuit for death...
State asks living man for death certificate
After decades in Baton Rouge, state fair heading to Ascension Parish
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...
Saints release 2022 schedule, will open season on the road at Atlanta
St. Amant baseball heading to first state semifinals since 2014
Southern slugs out sweep against UAPB
Southern wins game 1 over UAPB