Neighbors rally behind disabled couple, displaced by fire
DENHAM SPRINGS - After a massive fire destroyed a disabled couple's home, neighbors have come together to help the family get back on their feet.
Jessica Medero and her husband are deaf, and their 13-year-old son is acting as the family representative, helping his parents navigate through the insurance process.
"Our motto is take one day at a time because there's so many things we have to take care of," said Medero, as her son translated for her.
Concerned neighbors have been communicating through a website known as Nextdoor, and together they've raised nearly $5,000 for the family of four.
"Everybody has been extremely upbeat and positive about it, but it's obvious that with the huge substantial loss that they had, there's a great deal of suffering that came with this," said Caitlin Kelly, a neighbor who is close to the family.
The community doesn't want the Medero family to move away, so with the money raised, they're paying for a rental home about a mile down the road.
It has allowed the two children to stay in the same school.
"I learned a lot [from] the fire chief," said Eli, the couple's 13-year-old son, "he told me it doesn't matter what you lost, what matters is that you didn't lose you."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Christmas is here: hundreds gather for lighting of Old City Hall in...
After broken water line leaves woman with mold and no bed, community...
Black Friday shopping returns to Gonzales outlet mall
Shoppers gather from all over to spend time, shop with family this...
Early morning shoppers line up for Black Friday sales in EBR, Ascension