Latest Weather Blog
MGM says Vegas shooting 'senseless act of evil'
VEGAS (AP) - The chief executive of MGM Resorts International is calling last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas "an unforgettable act of terror."
Company chairman and CEO Jim Murren said in a statement Monday that the Oct. 1, 2017, shooting that killed 58 people and injured more than 850 was a "senseless act of evil." MGM owns the Mandalay Bay hotel, where the gunman was when he opened fire into an outdoor concert crowd below on the Las Vegas Strip. Police and the FBI have not called the shooting a terrorist act or said the Mandalay Bay gunman was linked to a conspiracy.
They say he acted alone. How the event is characterized is important for MGM Resorts because it wants to invoke a federal anti-terrorism law enacted after Sept. 11, 2001, in defense of negligence lawsuits alleging that the casino giant could have prevented the shooting.
In his statement, Murren says that through unity and determination the Oct. 1 anniversary can become a day of healing and hope.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
New Baton Rouge casino almost complete, 100 job openings need to be...
Sarasota Drive bridge reopened after nearly a year of construction
Board approves increased 911 fees for EBR; new rates take effect as...
Pointe Coupee arrests 2 juvenile drive-by suspects. Between them, they're wearing 5...
Car soars through the air after hitting tow truck ramp on Georgia...
LSU, Tulane to meet in first round of Baton Rouge Regional as...
LSU president reminisces during team trip to DC
Southern baseball sweeps Arkansas-Pine Bluff to finish out regular season
A candid conversation with Kim Mulkey - Watch the half-hour special on...
Channel 2's Best Bet$: NBA Playoffs