Man electrocuted on Government Street, internal investigation underway
BATON ROUGE – One person is dead Tuesday after he sustained an electrical shock in the 7200 block of Government Street.
According to the Advocate, the man has been idenitfied as 75-year-old Richard Eckman. Eckman died after he suffered burns to his hand near his home around 11:20 p.m.. He was taken to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in critical condition before succumbing to his injuries.
Sources say the incident was the second time the fire department was called to the location due to problems with the electrical box.
Entergy provided a statement to WBRZ Tuesday night in response to the incident.
"We are aware of the incident. At this time we are conducting an internal investigation and working closely with local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends affected," the statement said.
Eckman was a retired dentist who formerly practiced on Goodwood Boulevard.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Family of 1979 murder victims anxiously awaiting parole hearing for convicted killer...
School supply giveaway in Baton Rouge runs out of materials within an...
Bond hearing for mother blamed in toddler's overdose death set for Monday...
Two children, one of them just 4 years old, hurt in triple...
Dangerous late-night car stunts once again under investigation in Baton Rouge; videos...
Catholic's Shelton Sampson commits to LSU
LSU Tigers hold 1st Fall football practice under Brian Kelly
Saints WR Michael Thomas activated from PUP list, practices on Wednesday
Sculptor on making Pete Maravich Statue
Former Southern safety Danny Johnson looking to make his mark in year...