Lawyer: Louisiana gun case against millionaire Durst dropped
NEW ORLEANS - An attorney for real estate heir Robert Durst says state weapon charges against him have been dropped, clearing the way for federal proceedings in New Orleans on similar charges.
Durst, who faces a murder charge in an unrelated California case, remains jailed without bond in Louisiana.
Lawyer Dick DeGuerin said in an email Thursday that state and federal prosecutors had been discussing the possibility of the state case being dropped. He says he was pleased with the decision and that there shouldn't be two prosecutions in state and federal court for the same crime.
Assistant New Orleans District Attorney Christopher Bowman confirmed that the case has been dismissed. He says District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro reserved the right to bring the case up again once the federal case is resolved.
Durst was arrested at a New Orleans hotel in March. Prosecutors say he had a gun and marijuana in his room.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Metro Council to discuss new measures related to downtown library
Man arrested, charged with manslaughter in nurse's death
14-year-old boy killed in overnight Plaquemine shooting, deputies investigating
Juvenile killed in overnight Plaquemine shooting, deputies investigating
Antelope jumps fence, prompts brief shutdown at Baton Rouge Zoo
Tiger fans pumped for LSU's new athletic director
LSU introduces Scott Woodward as university's new athletics director
Coach O talks new AD Scott Wooodward, Joe Alleva's exit
LSU Gymnastics Prepares for NCAA Championship Final
Baton Rouge native said to replace Joe Alleva as LSU Athletics Director