Lawsuit filed over April 2015 shooting of teen by deputies
FRENCH SETTLEMENT - An attorney for a teen injured after being shot by sheriff's deputies last year claims in a lawsuit filed Wednesday, Livingston Parish Sheriff's deputies are inadequately trained.
The suit filed on behalf of Matthew Peyronnin named Sheriff Jason Ard and three sheriff's deputies in the lawsuit. In court documents, attorney Franz Borghardt said Peyronnin was also put in a choke hold and handcuffed after being shot and accuse deputies of being negligent.
In previous WBRZ and WBRZ.com reports, investigators said deputies were called to the home in April 2015 after the 19-year-old threatened to kill himself. A friend called 911 after talking to Peyronnin on the phone.
Family members said Peyronnin mistook the officers' arrival and commotion outside his window to be burglars and armed himself with a shotgun and was fired upon when he opened the front door to the home. The lawsuit claims deputies never identified themselves, and hit Peyronnin four times - including once in the neck.
Charges are still pending against Peyronnin, who was booked into jail after being released from the hospital, on charges related to the gun being pointed at officers.
The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of damages and a jury trial in federal court.
A spokesperson for the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office said, "We don't comment on pending litigation."
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
After Wednesday's rain storms, Baton Rouge preps for strong winds Thursday
Extensive debris pick-up effort still underway in Livingston Parish
East Baton Rouge Parish surpassing record for homicides with 2 months left...
EBR paused debris pickup ahead of Wednesday's storm
PHOTOS: Severe weather moves across south Louisiana Wednesday