Judge will decide Mississippi's $1B lawsuit against utility
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A federal judge will decide a $1 billion-plus lawsuit by the state of Mississippi against its largest private electrical utility.
U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves ruled Thursday that he won't seat an advisory jury in the bench trial involving Entergy Corp., scheduled to begin Nov. 5.
Attorney General Jim Hood had previously conceded to New Orleans-based Entergy's argument that the case shouldn't be decided by a jury. But Reeves had raised the possibility of an advisory jury, an unusual procedure where jurors would recommend findings to Reeves, but the judge would still make the ultimate decision.
Hood says Entergy overcharged Mississippi customers up to $1.1 billion between 1998 and 2009, arguing the company had a duty to use less expensive power for customers.
Entergy denies wrongdoing.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
La. adopting federal guidelines easing restrictions on nursing home visits
Louisiana teacher uses Joe Burrow and some presidential figures to practice social...
Doctor warns heat stroke can strike anyone at any time, despite age
BRPD to host memorial blood drive in honor of Denham Springs High's...
St. James bar owners ready to open up for business
Coach O speaks with media, says 'most' of team has had coronavirus
LSU's Neil Farrell opting back in for 2020 season
LHSAA moves up start of high school football, teams cleared to start...
LSU AD Scott Woodwards talks Game Day for Tiger Stadium
Former LSU Tiger Tre White emotional over new NFL deal