Judge denies request to dismiss lawsuits over church attack
SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A federal judge has rejected a defense request to claims against the U.S. Air Force stemming from a 2017 massacre at a Texas church that left more than two dozen people dead.
Relatives of those killed or injured at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs sued the federal government, arguing the Air Force was negligent by failing to report gunman Devin Kelley's criminal information to a national database. That database is used to conduct background checks of gun buyers.
The Justice Department argued federal employees should be shielded from the lawsuits. However, U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez ruled Thursday that doesn't mean the government should be shielded.
A government report last year said the Air Force failed six times to report information that could have prevented Kelley, a former airman, from buying a gun.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU football returns Saturday with no tailgating, 25% capacity in Death Valley
What you need to know before you geaux to Tiger Stadium
Coach O Weekly Press Conference - Game 1 vs. MSU
Coach O speaks with media, says 'most' of team has had coronavirus
LSU's Neil Farrell opting back in for 2020 season