Hurricane Harvey evacuees offered free stays
HOUSTON - Some spots in Texas and Louisiana are offering free or discounted places for Hurricane Harvey evacuees to stay.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Friday afternoon opened Texas state parks to hurricane evacuees to camp for free. Several parks on the coast and in South Texas have been closed for the hurricane, but the Texas Parks and Wildlife department posted a map of available camping sites away from the path of the hurricane to its website .
The Texas Association of Campground Owners says they have identified 12 campgrounds and RV parks with space for Hurricane Harvey evacuees as well and urged people to check www.texascampgrounds.com and www.texascabinrentals.com for spaces.
Vacation rental company Airbnb says it has started connecting evacuees and relief workers with short-term lodging with its hosts free of charge as part of its Disaster Response Program through its website.
Louisiana's Office of Parks announced Friday that evacuees can stay at cabins or campsites in any of eight north Louisiana state parks for half price. Cabins are available at six of the sites. Campsites are available at all eight.
The following parks are available for evacuees:
- Chemin-A-Haut State Park (Bastrop): cabins, campsites
- Jimmie Davis State Park (Chatham): cabins, lodges, campsites, group camp
- Lake Bistineau State Park (Doyline): campsites, group camp
- Lake Bruin State Park (St. Joseph): campsites
- Lake Claiborne State Park (Homer): cabins, campsites
- Lake D’Arbonne State Park (Farmerville): cabins, lodges, campsites, group camp
- North Toledo Bend State Park (Zwolle): cabins, campsites, group camp
- Poverty Point Reservoir State Park (Delhi): cabins, lodges, campsites
Discounted stays for the evacuees will be limited to a maximum of 10 days from arrival. Reservations can be made only by calling the reservation system at 877-226-7652.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
FDA OKs mixing COVID vaccines; backs Moderna, J&J boosters
'Pedal Pub' party bikes coming to downtown Baton Rouge
Companion Animal Alliance working to find solution to shelter overflow
Lane widening at I-10/I-12 split and College Drive expected to be completed...
Police looking for woman accused of helping juvie jail escapee evade authorities