Haunted plantation gets scare
ST. FRANCISVILLE - The mansion billed as America's most haunted plantation was nearly burned to the ground last night when a fire broke out in the gift shop, just feet away from the historic home.
The fire, likely caused by electrical problems, ignited the 200 year old building and threatened the main house.
"When I looked at the building, smoke was just pouring out of it, and as the evening went on all of sudden flames were shooting out of the middle and I took a picture of it," said Laura Nilson, who was visiting the home with her grandson.
While several firefighters worked tirelessly to keep the flames away from the main building, some people believe the spirits, many presume walk the grounds, played a role in protecting their home.
"If anything it was the ghost who stopped it, there's no reason why these buildings should be standing today with the age of the materials in them," said Teresa David, the general manager of the site.
The Myrtles plans to rebuild the home and will accommodate guests and tours throughout the process.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Parents brawl during youth baseball game after disagreeing with 13-year-old umpire
Republic Services to address trash pickup complaints in Wednesday news conference
Many look for alternatives to EBR school cuts
'They don't tell us what's going on;' Disgruntled Republic Services employee voices...
Stroke survivors using art therapy to regain motor skills, ease anxiety
'That's typical LSU;' Tailgating underway ahead of Baton Rouge Super Regional
PREVIEW: Southern breaks down Starkville Regional
LSU softball lands national No. 10 seed
Balancing Football and Track: The story of Kary Vincent Jr.
Sha'Carri Richardson's impressive impact on LSU Track and Field