Guests of Renaissance Hotel endure late night scare linked to blown transformer
BATON ROUGE - On Wednesday evening, guests at the popular Renaissance Hotel on Bluebonnet had a brief scare when the building's alarms went off and smoke was spotted in one of its hallways.
First responders with the St. George Fire Department quickly made their way to the hotel and found no fire, but a blown electrical transformer on the building's sixth floor.
Patrons were safely moved from the sixth floor to other areas, and representatives with St. George Fire say the hotel was put on backup power until repairs were completed.
One of the most common causes of a blown transformer is a lightning strike from a storm, forcing an overload of the transformer, or damage to wires or equipment elsewhere in the electrical grid.
Last night's incident occurred around 10:20 p.m.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Good Samaritan who tried to save Baton Rouge teen swept up in...
Storage building cleans up after 2 On Your Side report, parish makes...
Nearly 9 months after Hurricane Ida, first responders bracing for new storm...
Mayor of Gonzales asks for heavier patrols after deadly late-night shooting
Good Samaritan meets with family of missing BR teen
Southern baseball wins game one 21-2 over Alcorn
VIDEO: Former Saints and Tiger Devery Henderson talks about the difference between...
New NCAA rules tweak opens door for more SEC dominance
VIDEO: Devery Henderson Talk about Bluegrass Miracle and the Saints "Rebirth game"
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...