Entergy warning customers of power outages ahead of icy weather
BATON ROUGE - Entergy customers may experience power outages during the week of Feb. 18, the company says.
The electricity company released a statement on Saturday, warning their customers ahead of time about the outages.
"Entergy: Winter storms through 2/18 may result in widespread power outages. Our restoration team is ready to respond safely and quickly. Cold weather outage restoration can be hampered by a sudden demand from electric heaters and large appliances when power comes on. To avoid this situation, please turn off or unplug these appliances until power is restored."
To learn more about how the cold weather can cause power outages, click here.
Entergy safety tips for the winter weather:
- Live wires can be deadly. Stay away from downed power lines. Call 1-800-9OUTAGE or 1-800-968-8243 to report downed or dangling power lines, poles or other damaged equipment.
- Do not trim trees or remove debris on or near downed power lines. Only power company crews or their contractors should remove trees or limbs touching power lines.
- Keep away from the immediate areas where crews are working. There is always the danger of moving equipment and the possibility of construction materials or limbs or overhead wires falling to the ground.
- If you plan on using a generator for temporary power, get a licensed electrician and disconnect from the utility electric system before hooking up to your main electric panel.
- Do not run a generator in a confined space without adequate ventilation.
- Turn off any electrical appliances that can easily be turned to the off position until power is restored.
- Check on seniors, who can be particularly susceptible to extreme temperatures.
- Try to stay off the roads in affected areas. Restoration crews can work safer and faster if they don’t have to work around traffic.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
After Wednesday's rain storms, Baton Rouge preps for strong winds Thursday
Extensive debris pick-up effort still underway in Livingston Parish
East Baton Rouge Parish surpassing record for homicides with 2 months left...
EBR paused debris pickup ahead of Wednesday's storm
PHOTOS: Severe weather moves across south Louisiana Wednesday