DoD delays transgender enlistments by 6 months
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is giving the military chiefs another six months before they begin allowing transgender individuals to enlist in the armed services.
Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White says Mattis made the decision Friday.
A Mattis memo obtained by The Associated Press says he wanted to give the services time to ensure the change won't affect the readiness and lethality of the force.
His decision endorses an agreement hammered out last week by the military service leaders. That plan rejected Army and Air Force requests for a two-year wait and reflected the broader worry that a longer delay would trigger criticism on Capitol Hill.
Transgender service members have been able to serve openly in the military since last year, but not allowed to enlist as new recruits.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
I-10 West closure due to jackknifed 18-wheeler on MSR Bridge
Livingston teachers call in 'sick' to highlight grievances over Phase 3 guidelines
Man shot multiple times in St. Gabriel
'Remy loved this game,' parents of fallen football player address teammates ahead...
Some swap cars for kayaks as roads flood in Livingston; Tropical Depression...
LSU changing the recruiting game with prospect led visits
LSU football returns Saturday with no tailgating, 25% capacity in Death Valley
What you need to know before you geaux to Tiger Stadium
Coach O Weekly Press Conference - Game 1 vs. MSU
Coach O speaks with media, says 'most' of team has had coronavirus