Death penalty off the table in New Orleans policeman's death
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A Louisiana prosecutor says he won't request the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting a New Orleans police officer during a struggle last year.
Darren Bridges is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Officer Marcus McNeil. Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro said Wednesday that McNeil's family agrees because death penalty cases involve years of delay for a final ruling. Defense attorney Kerry Cuccia did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Cannizzaro's decision and whether it means Bridges will need a new attorney.
Cuccia directs a nonprofit created to represent indigent defendants facing the death penalty. A description on the Louisiana Public Defenders Board's website says the Capital Defense Project of Southeast Louisiana keeps a standing caseload of 25 defendants.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Funeral service held in Lafayette for former Gov. Kathleen Blanco
Local customers may be affected as AT&T employees go on strike
Drainage crews prepare for potential weekend downpour
Man who claimed God told him to cause deadly crash being sent...
Algae continues to take over LSU lakes, fish ordered