Christmas presents saved after fire hits 3-family home
WHITMAN, Mass. (AP) - Three families are homeless after a Christmas Eve fire struck a triple-decker home in Whitman, but firefighters were able to save at least some holiday cheer for the residents.
Fire Chief Timothy Grenno says after firefighters put out the blaze on Monday night they re-entered the building and removed already wrapped Christmas presents from all three apartments in the building.
Grenno says flames were visible from second-floor windows when the first units arrived.
No one was injured but all three apartments were left uninhabitable. The families are spending the holiday with relatives.
In a statement, Grenno said he was proud that by recovering the presents, firefighters "were able to save a bit of Christmas for these families who have been put out of their homes."
The blaze is under investigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Amendments suggested to Ascension Parish moratorium
Residents in Morning Glen contemplate next steps fearing another flood
Massive inferno at Hola Nola Foods facility likely sparked by electrical issue
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Employees fear 19 reports filed about broken prison cells fell...
Amazon investing $200M into new facility at former Cortana Mall site