2-year-old died from smoke inhalation in Wednesday house fire, autopsy shows
BATON ROUGE - A young child is dead and another person is in critical condition following a house fire on Kentucky Street Wednesday night.
The fire was reported sometime after 9 o'clock Wednesday night in the 2000 block of Kentucky Street, a few blocks away from the I-10/I-110 split. The blaze was under control around 9:30 p.m.
Officials tell WBRZ a man and 2-year-old girl were both found inside the front of the home and transported to the hospital in critical condition. The Baton Rouge Fire Department says the 2-year-old, identified as Amirrah Williams, later died from her injuries.
The coroner's office confirmed Friday the girl died from smoke inhalation, ruling her death accidental.
Investigators believes the blaze started in the back of the house, though its unclear what caused it.
The fire remains under investigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Holiday Express on schedule to arrive in Gonzales Thursday; road closures announced
Tenants ask apartment management to make significant changes, address mold
Lane shift on I-10 West pushed back to Friday; delayed by cold...
Attorney General elect orders in depth review of State Police
Landry names new head of Louisiana State Police