California man sues over denial of $5M lottery prize
LONG BEACH, Calif. - A man who was denied a $5 million lottery jackpot because his teenage son bought the ticket is suing the California Lottery Commission.
Ward Thomas of Long Beach says he sent his son to buy Scratchers tickets from a gas station in October.
One was a winner.
Thomas says he validated the ticket at a lottery office but two months later, the prize was denied because his son was 16 and only adults can play.
Thomas filed a lawsuit last week against the commission and the gas station, which he claims didn't check the boy's age or tell him only adults could buy tickets.
The suit alleges negligence and breach of contract.
The Lottery Commission told KABC-TV that it can't comment on pending litigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
BREC to reveal renovations for zoo, Greenwood Park during Saturday event
Popular New Orleans TV icon killed in fiery plane crash, had circle...
Employee foils Baton Rouge store burglary in wild pursuit caught on camera
Zachary firefighter died in morning crash while headed to work
Toddler has adorable reaction to cheese fries