Burning rope sets house on fire
BATON ROUGE - Firefighters believe a man accidentally set his house on fire in Tuesday's storms.
The man told responders, he was near his garage burning a piece of rope when part of the rope, still burning, dropped and ignited a gas can. The can exploded, catching the home on fire.
The fire tore through the garage of the house on Major Oak near Sharp.
Firefighters said they were able to stop the fire from spreading, but the rear of the home was heavily burned and most of the house sustained heavy smoke damage.
The Red Cross was assisting the family Tuesday night.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Deputies looking for burglar who stole service dog in training from Zachary...
Well-known justice of the peace arrested, accused of torturing family for more...
Big turnout for Employ BR job fair Friday
Officials place temporary hold on fill dirt projects in Ascension Parish
City says trash pick-ups have improved, residents disagree