Arkansas again cuts off Medicaid funds to Planned Parenthood
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Arkansas has again cut off Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood after a federal appeals court upheld the state's decision to defund the organization over videos secretly taken by an anti-abortion group.
A Department of Human Services spokeswoman said Monday the state terminated the group's status as a Medicaid provider last week after the ruling siding with the state formally took effect. The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this month said it wouldn't reconsider a three-judge panel's decision upholding the defunding.
Gov. Asa Hutchinson terminated Arkansas' Medicaid contract with Planned Parenthood in 2015. The appeals panel vacated a federal judge's preliminary injunction preventing the state from suspending Medicaid payments to the organization. Planned Parenthood has not said whether it plans to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
DNA links alleged killer to murder of Sadie Roberts-Joseph
Hundreds gather at vigil to honor Sadie Roberts-Joseph
Motion-activated security camera set off by dog in adorable viral video
Police: Sex offender tenant of Sadie Roberts-Joseph killed her over late rent...
Remaining storm outages should be fixed by Wednesday, Entergy says