7 Cuban migrants with gunshot wounds interdicted at sea
MIAMI - Seven Cuban migrants, all with gunshot wounds, were interdicted at sea and taken to South Florida hospitals.
According to the Keynoter, the wounded Cubans were found Saturday afternoon.
The U.S. Coast Guard District 7 public affairs office told the newspaper the wounded were on a makeshift raft with another 19 migrants without injuries
The ones not needing medical attention will likely be repatriated. The injured were taken to Lower Keys Medical Center on Stock Island. Six were airlifted out to Miami trauma centers.
Earlier this year, authorities said Cuban migrants desperate to reach U.S. shore are increasingly violent and noncompliant with Coast Guard crews who detain them at sea, citing reports of attempted poisoning and self-inflicted wounds as rumors swirl that the "wet-foot, dry-foot" policy will soon be abandoned.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Ascension Parish officials taking 'aggressive' approach to Cristobal storm preps
DOTD to work around historic properties as I-10 widening project begins
EXPLICIT: Man livestreamed attack at Hammond Target
Community leaders gather at old state capitol to condemn police brutality
Livingston Parish residents, leaders prepare for possible flooding with tropical storm Cristobal