Wheelchair-bound man dies in Clinton fire
CLINTON - Fire officials say a wheelchair-bound man died in an apartment fire Tuesday morning.
It happened at the Clinton Manor Apartments. He was identified as 47-year old Christian Phillips.
Clinton Fire Chief Doug Beauchamp says the fire was mostly smoldering when they arrived on scene before 7:30 a.m. Once the smoke cleared, they found Phillips' body inside the apartment.
Chief Beauchamp says the apartments have a good safety record, and Phillips' apartment did have a working smoke alarm.
People at a store near the complex say Phillips visited them daily using his motorized wheelchair. Investigators are unsure if his condition kept him from safely leaving the apartment during the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Murder suspect wanted in Livingston Parish arrested in Florida
Prairieville man arrested for impersonating a police officer
State officials respond to The Investigative Unit's report on Hwy 190 in...
Cemetery still working to identify bodies disturbed by August flood
Walker subdivision still having drainage problems