Two mobile homes destroyed in Central fire
CENTRAL - The Central Fire Department responded to a trailer fire on Ridge Road Saturday morning.
According to Central FD, the fire was reported before noon Saturday off of Lovett Road. Two mobile homes were completely destroyed.
Fire crews say windy conditions caused the flames to spread so quickly from one home to the other.
Fire Deputy Charles Monvrick says, "Our first station to respond is right across the street. When they got here, the first trailer was totally involved with the second one catching."
"Every thing was pretty much gone by the time they got here," neighbor Orental Hill told WBRZ.
The flames set off boxes of ammo inside of one of the mobile homes.
Joseph Clemmon, another neighbor, said "The biggest concern were my kids with the ammunition going off in there."
One of the homes was vacant, and the man who stayed in the other got out unharmed. He told WBRZ that he had a small fire lit in the fireplace. He stepped out of the home for a minute, and when he came back inside, the saw the house had caught fire.
Repairs were being made to one mobile home damaged by the August 2016 flood when the fire sparked.
"He's been trying to replace everything since the flood. It's just one thing after another. I hate to see that happen to him," Clemmon said.
American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist.