Triumph Kitchen's program for at-risk-youth
BATON ROUGE - One couple hopes to change lives for those headed down the wrong path. Sommer and Chris Wadsworth's non-profit organization, Triumph Kitchen, is designed to teach at-risk-youth and under-privileged teens between 16-22 basic life skills.
The power duo will teach them how to succeed in the hospitality industry, how to plan meals, and how to budget for their family. They said the goal is to help them get jobs, too. Right now, they are accepting donations and said every little bit counts. To donate and to hear their complete story, click here or visit Triumph Kitchen's website.
Below is one of the recipes they'll be teaching in the 12-week program.
Corn Maque Choux
Makes 6 Qts.
2 Tbs. Butter
2 C. Chopped Bacon
½ C. AP Flour
3 C. Yellow Onions, Sm. Dice
3 C. Green Bell Peppers, Sm. Dice
2 Tbs. Minced Garlic
1 Qt. Heavy Cream
6 Qt. Corn Kernels
½ C. Granulated Sugar
1 Qt. Fresh Tomato, Rough Chop
1 ½ Tbs. Salt
1 ½ Tbs. Black Pepper
1 ½ Tbs. Creole Seasoning
1. Wash your hands. Collect all ingredients. Gather clean sanitized equipment necessary.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in large sauce pot. Add Bacon and cook till lightly browned and slightly crisp. Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally till blonde roux is achieved.
3. Add onion, peppers, and garlic cooking till just softened, stirring often careful not to scorch.
4. Add cream, corn and sugar, stirring to incorporate well. Reduce heat and simmer for roughly 10 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomato, salt, pepper, and creole seasoning. Simmer on low another 5 minutes. Make sure maque choux has reached an internal temperature of at least 165F and is held at no less than 141F for service.
6. Rapidly cool maque choux to below 70F within 2 Hrs. and below 41F within 4 Hrs. from that. Portion cover lable and date for service, or bag, label, and date for the freezer.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Community celebrates city's bicentennial
Gunfire outside Sorrento landfill escalates enviromental fight
Reported two alarm apartment fire on Titian Ave. near N Donmoor Ave.
20-year-old wanted for shooting near Doe's restaurant on Government Street
Legally blind teacher works, can't get disability assistance