Toasted truck had proper license before fire
BATON ROUGE - A bar-b-que pit is the reason one food truck in Baton Rouge is toast.
Earl's Express caught fire Thursday on Plank Road and burned to a crisp. Firefighters said the converted bus had a charcoal grill inside, which is against the law.
According to the city-parish finance department the truck's got his license in February this year. Food truck vendors have to go through the same process as a restaurant owner. Before they can get their occupational license from the City-Parish Finance department, they must first pass the health inspection with the Department of Health and Hospitals.
Ann Clipps sells snow balls and snacks out of her food truck. She and her husband Leon are contracting with a local summer camp to sell the treats to kids. They said avoiding cooking in the truck helps them stay in business.
"It's a lot safer and it's easier... you stick to your snow balls. That's what our sign say, snow balls and snacks," she said.
But if they do cook, it's not the same process and they work hard to follow the rules.
"It's a whole different procedure that we do and different steps that (we take)," said Leon Clipps.
Baton Rouge Fire said they won't be issuing a ticket in the Earl's Express fire, which cost the owner his $10,000 truck.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg had lunch in Baton Rouge; Find out what he...
Sparks fly at town hall meeting with Congressman Garret Graves
Multiple calls to fix growing sinkhole gone unanswered
Parents stay strong after daughter left paralyzed following domestic violence shooting
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Classroom brawl caught on camera; Where were the teachers?