Teen arrested after kid receives skull fracture
BRUSLY - The mother of a 12-year-old who received a skull fracture on a school bus is demanding answers from the West Baton Rouge Parish School System and the company that runs the bus system.
The 15-year-old accused in the attack was arrested by the West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office and charged with second degree battery. He bonded out of a juvenile detention facility and was supposed to restricted from riding the bus, but supposedly was back on again last week.
Camille Daigle said her child Clayton has suffered major issues from last month's attack, and she's frustrated over what he endured.
"It was heartbreaking, scary," Camille Daigle said. "When they were talking about surgery and all the tests they needed to do."
An x-ray shows the skull fracture Clayton received from getting a blow to the head.
"I can't play any sports or anything," Clayton said. "I have sharp pains in my head and big headaches."
Clayton and other witnesses say the aggressor was a high school student who was bullying the middle school student over his size. The older boy was suspended from school and restricted from riding the bus. However, last week he began riding the bus again anyway.
Superintendent Wes Watts declined to do an on camera interview, however, he did say this situation has been rectified. He said the student disciplined for the incident won't be on the bus again.
Greg Gavins is the Senior Manager for First Student, the company that operates the buses in West Baton Rouge Parish. Gavins claims the school system did not tell them that the child was not allowed on the bus, and that breakdown in communication allowed him to ride last week.
"It probably was a miscommunication," Gavins said. "I don't know exactly because we weren't involved in the meeting when they had a meeting concerning discipline for the child."
Meanwhile, Daigle said she's not letting this issue rest until she gets some answers. She has already hired an attorney.
"We want the District Attorneys Office to complete its work before we do anything in a civil action," Attorney Ralph Fletcher said.
As for little Clayton, he had this message to other students who cause problems.
"It needs to stop," Clayton said. "they need to stop bullying other kids."
Clayton has not attended school since the fight, taking classes at home instead. The student involved in the attack has a court date for his battery charges in December.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Thieves run out of Walmart with cart full of stolen beer
8-year-old shot by 2-year-old brother Tuesday afternoon
School officials address Saturday tax renewal vote
Police: 8-year-old shot by 2-year-old brother Tuesday afternoon
Ongoing library problems have downtown residents, businesses concerned