Reduce Your Risk: Bo's Story (A Close Call)
BATON ROUGE - When Bo Myers teaches a class, he doesn't give out grades, but rather dishes out life-saving lessons.
One afternoon Bo walked into his grandmother's backyard, only to find his 7-year-old nephew lying on the ground unconscious, after being pinned under a welding table.
"it was God that he showed up at that time and he knew exactly what to do," Paige Fancher, Carter's mother, told 2une In's John Pastorek. "He was calm during the whole time."
Bo moved the table off of his cousin and began giving him CPR, a skill that he had learned in one of his classes.
"Bo was kind of an experience that showed you, you're not necessarily going to forget," says Doc Stanton, who taught Bo CPR. "When you're out there, it's going to be there. Stuff's going to start clicking and you'll be able to save a life."
CPR training is now required to graduate high school in Louisiana. It's the result of the Burke Cobb Act, passed in 2014. The law is named after a boy who died from unexpected cardiac arrest...his parents believe he might be alive today if CPR had been performed on him.
The American Heart Association estimates on 32% of cardiac arrest victims get CPR from bystanders. The Cobbs have set up "Living 4 Burke," a foundation aimed at spreading awareness, and saving lives.
"awareness is knowledge. The more people that learn this, the more kids learn to assess someone and administer first aid and CPR, the healthier we are as a society," says Burke's father, Jim Cobb. "The better we are as a society because we're eventually raising lifesavers."
Lifesavers like Bo, who has inspired many students and family members to learn CPR.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Flood victims could qualify for new bathroom, kitchen
New details on Vice President Mike Pence's visit to Baton Rouge Wednesday
Cop's alleged racist messages on gay chat app under investigation
Scotlandville High honors 17-year-old cancer victim at graduation ceremony
2 escape house fire on Woodglynn Drive