Principal issues apology for text some parents find offensive
BATON ROUGE - A school principal issued an apology letter to parents after sending a text message last week that some found offensive.
The letter was sent home with students who attend Redemptorist Elementary in Baton Rouge, Friday. The text message, which was sent out to students two days earlier, addresses grooming standards, but did not go over well with some parents.
"It is still offensive," said Kirsten Brooks, who has a six-year-old at Redemptorist.
The text, intended for students in K-7th grade read, "I understand that the boys want to follow the latest fashion trend, however the 'Nappy, Uncombed, Picked/Sponged' look Must Go! It is getting out of hand. If their haircut is higher than 1inch it must be cut."
In the letter, Principal Walker says the text was meant to alert parents to the regulations of the school and addresses word for word what is written in the student handbook, which Brooks says does not match up with the text message sent last week.
After reading the letter from Walker, Brooks says she accepts the apology but isn't completely satisfied with how everything unfolded.
"You should be considerate of others before you say certain things," said Brooks. "Don't single certain people out when you say certain things."
Also in the letter, Principal Walker opened a line of communication and invites parents to call the school if they have any questions.
Brooks says her son will not be getting a haircut.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Knock Knock Children's Museum offering two free days over the holidays
Officials urge drivers to prepare ahead of holiday traffic Officials urge drivers...
Gas prices in Baton Rouge drop below $2 just in time for...
Massive crash shut down I-10 West for hours Monday
Local food bank may have to turn people away this season