Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast

Latest Weather Blog

Follow our weather team on social media

Police: Stun gun not used on man who drowned

Related Story

GONZALES - Police are standing firm that no stun gun was fired when they chased Jerrick Lane, 25, during a domestic disturbance call on Abe Avenue Tuesday night.

Gonzales Police were responding to a call that Jerrick Lane had a gun and was harassing a woman. When the officer arrived on scene Lane ran toward a nearby bayou.

"According to the officer's report, he drew his taser and was running on foot and was giving chase to the individual that was running," said Sgt. Steven Nethken with Gonzales Police.

Nethken said that Lane then jumped into the bayou and began to struggle and an officer began to strip down to go in and save him.

"Because the current was swift and the water was dark at that particular point, one of the officers went back to get a rope to tie around the officer who was going in to try and rescue the individual," said Sgt. Nethken, but it was too late.

Witnesses in the area think that police may have used a stun gun on Lane while he was in the water.

"I heard them yelling that they tased him in that water but I didn't see it," said Glinda Williams, who lives near the bayou.

"I know my child knows how to swim, ain't no way he could have drowned, the way they say he did, to me, more than drowning took place in that bayou last night," said Sharon Lane, Jerrick's mother.

News 2 could not find anyone who claimed to see an officer fire their stun gun, but some think there's evidence that one was used.

"My cousin was there on the scene, and he says he did see an officer with a taser walking back to his car and from what he saw the taser was deployed," said Chiquita Lane, Jerrick's sister.

But Nethken asserts that no officer used a stun gun, because every shot is recorded and catalogued digitally in the gun.

"A download has been done on each one of the officers that responded to the incident, no discharges were done, an inventory has been done on all the taser cartridges that were uniquely assigned to those individual officers and all of the taser cartridges have been accounted for and there have been no discharges," said Sgt. Nethken.

The corner will perform a full autopsy Friday to determine the cause of death. The family also plans to have their own autopsy conducted.


Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days