Police: man responsible for two attacks
BATON ROUGE - A man police said is responsible for two home invasions, one where a woman was sexually assaulted, has a troubled past.
Police charged Vorris Mouton, 35, of New Iberia with sexual battery and aggravated burglary in connection with a Jan. 17 incident in the Sherwood Forest subdivision. But, Mouton was first arrested in connection with a Dec. 22 home invasion and burglary.
Police said Mouton broke into a home on Reymond Street and demanded the homeowner tell him where her safe was and threatened to kill her last month. After a brief struggle, police said Mouton fled the home.
The State Police Crime Lab was able to link Mouton to the two incidents through DNA collected at the scene.
Mouton has had issues dating back to 1996 and has been charged in Iberia Parish with criminal trespassing, criminal mischief, simple burglary of inhabited dwelling and theft.
Police said they are not ready to officially link Mouton to three other home invasions and sexual assaults that are currently unsolved.
"We can't say for sure that he's our guy," said Cpl. L'Jean McKneely.
Investigators say they've reached out to other parishes to possibly connect him to other similar crimes.
"We made contact with Lafayette, New Iberia, here in East Baton Rouge, and surrounding areas," said McKneely. "He may have committed these types of crimes in other areas."
Police plan to continue increased patrols around Baton Rouge, especially in the four neighborhoods where attacks have happened: Hundred Oaks, Glen Oaks, Tara, and the Goodwood/Sherwood Forest areas.