BATON ROUGE - The Save Redemptorist Group says it has a plan in hopes of keeping the school open. They are willing to purchase the property outright.
The group told News Two's Jessica LeBlanc they are planning to ask the Diocese of Baton Rouge to name their price for the property.
The Diocese reaffirmed a decision this weekend to shut the school down. Now, the group says the fight will not stop.
The group released this statement to News Two:
"We are very disappointed, surprised and confused by the response of the diocese. Based on our proposal, the longterm viability is our issue, not theirs. It is abundantly clear there was never any intention to consider our proposal. If the true concern is for the student, faculty and catholic school in North Baton Rouge, they will accept our plan to purchase the property and allow us to continue that legacy instead of selling the property to a charter school which we now believe was the ultimate plan of the Catholic Diocese all along."
"We understand that this isn't a decision whether to buy a cheeseburger or a hot dog. It's a big deal for the diocese as well....We were simply asking for this community and this school and everything...give us a couple of years under your wing. You know we've been here 67. Give us a couple of more. And guide us into this independent situation," said Sid Edwards, who's a part of the group.
The group has raised more than a million dollars to help with their efforts and they're hoping they can raise more.
They're notifying the diocese with their new proposal Monday morning.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Police identify woman found shot, killed inside wrecked car
Small business owner left out in the cold after thief steals snowball...
Bold theives burglarize cars and leave messages in Pointe Coupee
Holiday Helpers hand off annual Thanksgiving dinner
Body trapped under boat recovered from river