One killed, 7 injured on Ohio State Fair ride
COLUMBUS - A Columbus fire official says the man killed after an "aggressive thrill ride" fell apart at the Ohio State Fair was 18.
The State Highway Patrol says seven others were injured Wednesday night when the Fire Ball ride malfunctioned and sent riders flying into the air.
The patrol identified the man who was killed as Tyler Jarrell of Columbus. The others injured range in age from 14 to 42.
The U.S. Marine Corps says in a statement that Tyler Jarrell of Columbus had enlisted last Friday and was to begin basic training next summer.
Authorities say seven others, including four teenagers, were injured when the ride malfunctioned.
Ohio State Wexner Medical Center said early Thursday it's treating three people, two in critical condition and one in serious condition.
Ohio records show that inspections were up to date and a state permit had just been for the ride.
The Department of Agriculture records provided Thursday to The Associated Press show passing marks on inspections of about three dozen items including cracks, brakes, proper assembly and installation of the Fire Ball ride.
The operating company, Amusements of America, submitted records of regular inspections and maintenance performed, as well as ride testing by an outside company.
Ohio completed its own inspections and granted a ride permit Wednesday for $150. Gov. John Kasich says he doesn't want to speculate about whether inspectors may have missed something or if there was some sort of mechanical failure.
He says state officials will do everything they can to make sure the fair is safe.
The fair reopened Thursday but all the rides were closed, pending further inspections.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Edwards rallies union support: 'Elections have consequences'
A classroom of 5th graders made a mother's Thanksgiving with a simple...
Lee High School will get football program next year
Locals pack the streets for White Light Night
Saying goodbye: Beauregard Gallery and Bistro closing its doors