Neighbors spring into action at apartment fire
BATON ROUGE - Some quick thinking by neighbors helped save lives in Baton Rouge when a fire tore through the Evangeline Place Apartments.
Neighbors at the complex said if it wasn't for Good Samaritans, people could have died.
"Me and two other dudes, we had to yank him out the window," said Ronnie Corbine. "I was just trying to make sure everybody was out their apartments."
Firefighters said an unattended pot on a stove started the fire at the apartments on Annette Street Sunday night.
The fire gutted the kitchen and living room of the unit it started in, and did heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the unit. Several nearby units were also damaged by smoke.
The Red Cross said they're assisting families affected by the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Homeowner tired of patchwork on street, wants permanent fix
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Teacher accused of choking student unconscious
Doctors seeing increase in patients with the flu
WATCH: Impaired driver crashes into Trooper's vehicle on I-12
Murder suspect wanted in Livingston Parish arrested in Florida