NBR NEIGHBORHOOD DUMPING
BATON ROUGE - Community leaders held a meeting Tuesday night to discuss new options for debris removal in East Baton Rouge Parish. The meeting comes after complaints from residents around the Alsen community, claiming the dump site is bringing unwanted commotion.
People lined up to show their concern for the heavily used road ways. Residents say the increase in traffic to reach the Ronaldson Field Landfill is down right dangerous and efforts by parish officials to put up barricades are not working, as 2 On Your Side showed last week. Ideas such as using other dump sites and trucks using alternate routes were brought up in the meeting.
Councilwoman Chauna Banks said she is trying to make sure resident concerns are heard.
Representatives from several local and state agencies attended the meeting and listened to the complaints of residents. But it is still unclear what changes will come from this meeting. Councilwoman Banks suggested taking the flood debris elsewhere.
The parish is already using a temporary site for storm debris in Sherwood Forest. Another option that was brought up was an additional site in North Baton Rouge in a less residential area.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Fire station on Government gets a facelift
Police thank woman for saving officer during attack
Police chief says no reason to be alarmed despite 8 shootings in...
Push for "City of St. George" could return, but with obstacles
Paratroopers jump into the Box as LSU welcomes military, baseball season