Mother saves children from fire
ZACHARY - A Zachary woman had to act fast to save the lives of her two children as a fire ripped through their home this morning.
When Ashley Earthly's two young daughters were trapped inside their house, friends say that's when her instincts kicked in and Earthly did all she could to make sure her children were saved.
"There was a candle on the kitchen counter and a plant right next to the candle caught fire," said Maria Shantell Williams, a family friend. "Flames hit the top of the house and the Christmas tree caught fire."
All that remains is a burned-out trailer, showing how dangerous the situation quickly became.
When Earthly came into the kitchen, she was trapped behind a wall of flames. That's when she yelled to the girls to get outside.
"She couldn't access the two girls," Williams said. "So she told them run out the front and she shot out the back."
Earthly went outside to find that the children never made it out the front door. She ran around to their bedroom window and found them trapped inside. She shattered the glass window with her bare hands and grabbed the children, bringing them to safety.
The family lost everything in the fire. For now they're receiving temporary help from the Red Cross. There is an account set up at Chase Bank, under the name "Earthly," for donations.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Coursey Blvd. gardening business vandalized, owner says more than $10,000 in damages
Officers, teens discuss difficult issues at Baton Rouge conference
EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral
New Roads community commemorates Memorial Day with a 'blessing of the boats'
Crews respond to fire at abandoned house on Lobelia Avenue