BATON ROUGE- Police responded to a hotel where a meth lab exploded Tuesday.
A doorway to a room at the Crossland Economy Studios, off Boardwalk, is taped-off and a biohazard warning is posted.
Cleaning-up after a meth lab is becoming more common in the area.
Larry Douglas of Xtreme Cleaners said he is worried about the people who live next to a meth lab.
"Any time there's a meth lab, and there's adjacent properties, or dwellings around it, there's a chance for cross-contamination," Douglas said.
Douglas' company is not contracted to clean the lab found Tuesday. He talked to WBRZ News 2 about the dangers of meth labs in general.
"It just keeps pushing through," said Douglas. "It's going to go into the next units around it, you know, until it's remediated and taken care of."
Meth lab contamination can spread to other areas of a building through ventilation, by way of a sprinkler system, and through walls.
Exposure to meth can bring on flu-like symptoms and for longer exposure, serious health effects include liver and kidney damage, and an increased risk of cancer.
Homes where meth labs have been found are tracked by the state. The Department of Environmental Quality maintains a list, but said it can't enforce cleanup standards inside a home. It's up to the property owner to hire an outside agency to remediate the contaminated property.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg had lunch in Baton Rouge; Find out what he...
Sparks fly at town hall meeting with Congressman Garret Graves
Multiple calls to fix growing sinkhole gone unanswered
Parents stay strong after daughter left paralyzed following domestic violence shooting
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Classroom brawl caught on camera; Where were the teachers?