Man tried to save uncle from deadly house fire
BATON ROUGE - A man says he tried to save his uncle from a fire in Baton Rouge, but the smoke was too thick to enter the home.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department says 58-year-old Vernon Mack died just before midnight Tuesday on Stearnes Street near Plank Road. The house went up in flames after a pot was left on the stove, according to the BRFD.
For Dominco Mack, one of the hardest parts of his uncle dying in the fire is that he couldn't save him.
"It was heartbreaking because I couldn't help him," said Dominco Mack. "All the things I've done in the world and I just couldn't go in the fire. I was there. I'm the first one on the scene and I opened the door, but the flame was too thick. The smoke was too thick. I couldn't get him out."
Firefighters pulled Mack from the house, but emergency responders were unable to save his life. Family members say Mack was a loving man who will be missed by the entire neighborhood.
"He was a cornerstone of this community. Everybody loved Vernon Mack. Everybody loved him," said Dominco Mack. "That's why the community is out here right now. All the young guys are out here right now, because Vernon Mack was like an uncle, a brother, a grandfather to a lot of the kids out here."
Family members say Mack always looked out for everyone and will be missed.