Haunted plantation gets scare
ST. FRANCISVILLE - The mansion billed as America's most haunted plantation was nearly burned to the ground last night when a fire broke out in the gift shop, just feet away from the historic home.
The fire, likely caused by electrical problems, ignited the 200 year old building and threatened the main house.
"When I looked at the building, smoke was just pouring out of it, and as the evening went on all of sudden flames were shooting out of the middle and I took a picture of it," said Laura Nilson, who was visiting the home with her grandson.
While several firefighters worked tirelessly to keep the flames away from the main building, some people believe the spirits, many presume walk the grounds, played a role in protecting their home.
"If anything it was the ghost who stopped it, there's no reason why these buildings should be standing today with the age of the materials in them," said Teresa David, the general manager of the site.
The Myrtles plans to rebuild the home and will accommodate guests and tours throughout the process.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Condemned property demolition put on hold by property owner
Fans propose 'whiteout' for LSU, Alabama game amid controversial Devin White suspension
Livingston Parish man calls 911, admits to killing father
No more changes to St. George petition after Monday night
Slow progress to Sunshine Bridge continues to frustrate drivers