Fiery gas leak added to Monday blues
BATON ROUGE - After a day of dealing with issues, crews were finally able to open Stanford Avenue and two other streets near the lake Monday night.
Construction crews doing work in the area hit a natural gas line, causing a leak and a fire at a nearby pump station. Two homes in the area were evacuated after the incident Monday morning.
The line leaked under Stanford Avenue, causing the road to buckle.
For most of the day, Stanford Avenue, West Lakeshore and LSU Avenue were closed. All had opened by 10 p.m.
The company responsible for the mess will have to pay for repairs and damages, authorities said.