Family loses everything in fire
ST. AMANT - A knocked-over candle cost a family everything they had in a house fire, according to the St. Amant Fire Department.
"The power went out between midnight and one. My husband left for work he had lit candles when the power went out. One of them got knocked over when the kids were trying to get their stuff together," homeowner Trulena Guedry said.
The crews received the call at 7:20 a.m. but the fire spread through the entire home.
"They actually lost everything they own," said Fire Chief James LeBlanc.
Trulena and her four children including one child who's wheelchair bound got out safely. But two other members of the family didn't make it out in time.
"We lost a dog we lost a goose," she said. "Everything else can be replaced but our kids can't. I don't know what I would do if they wouldn't have been saved."
The Red Cross was called to assist the family with housing and clothing.
Ascension Credit Union and the St. Amant Fire Department are taking clothing and good donations for the family.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Investigative Unit captures public equipment doing private jobs
Flood victims get pick of $3 million worth of clothes, toys and...
28-year-old arrested for three rapes in October, 2015 murder
Cara's shelter for displaced animals
Iberville Parish man charged in decades old cold case murders