Edwin Edwards hospitalized, WBRZ has learned
BATON ROUGE – Edwin Edwards has once again been admitted into an area hospital, WBRZ learned Tuesday morning.
Edwards, 89, has been admitted for pneumonia. It's a recurring illness he suffers from, sources said. They added he would likely be hospitalized for another week.
About a year ago, Edwards was hospitalized with pneumonia. Then, family members said he became ill while traveling around the Thanksgiving holiday and attending November 2015 campaign events.
"I talked to him last night, and he was fine," Biographer Leo Honeycutt said. "He was coughing a little bit, but this time of year invariably this time of year, he gets some form of pneumonia. At 89, they don't want to take any chances."
Edwards and his third wife, Trina, have a three-year-old son. On December 10th, Trina tweeted that the entire family was ill but reminded people to vote in the Saturday election.
Trina Edwards was instrumental in Edwards' 2014 run for Congress that ended with Edwards in a runoff with Garrett Graves. Graves ultimately won the final election.
The Edwards wed shortly after the former governor was released from federal prison in 2011. He served a 10-year sentence for a bribery and extortion scheme rigging riverboat casino licenses. The family lives in Ascension Parish.
"The state loves him so much becuase he was a person that took care of business," Honeycutt said. "Especially for the little guy.... every place we've ever gone people come up to him and say you've helped my son, duaghter and whoever."
Watch Tuesday editions of WBRZ News 2 for live reports on Edwards' health.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU freshman with cancer flips coin at Saturday's game
LSU Parade Ground appears empty amid temporary tailgate restrictions
Greek Life imposes new tailgating guidelines in wake of student death
Video of Baker High fight sparks outrage among parents
LeBlanc's Boudin a total loss after fire