DEQ searching for source of school-closing smell
SCOTLANDVILLE - Parents said they were frightened to hear a gas leak closed their children's school today in north Baton Rouge.
Lucille McKnight said she received a phone call about 10:30 a.m. Friday with a recorded message from Crestworth Elementary telling her there was a gas leak, and parents needed to come pick up their children.
"That's scary, you know," McKnight said. "A chemical leak, kids, you know, it's bad."
Three schools, including J. K. Haynes Elementary Charter and Crestworth Learning Academy, closed as a result of the smell. The Greater King David Senior Center also shut its doors.
Residents began reporting a "chemical smell" in the area around 8:30 Thursday night, according to Entergy. After multiple checks throughout the day, the Department of Environmental Quality said the air is fine.
"The wind directions, we can say it was coming from a certain direction," said DEQ Communications Director Rodney Mallett. "That could be a variety of different sources."
The Baton Rouge Fire Department also made multiple laps around the neighborhood searching for the source of the smell, but didn't find anything.
DEQ will continue to monitor the air throughout the weekend.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
North Carolina police release dash cam shooting footage (Warning: Graphic Video)
North Carolina police release shooting footage (Graphic video warning)
West BR to implement traffic flow measures on LA 1 starting Monday
Man claims his severe losses came from contractor, not flood
Local teen prepares for 9th open heart surgery