Church gives back to firefighters after massive blaze
DENHAM SPRINGS - A church that survived a massive fire in Denham Springs earlier this month gave back to first responders Thursday.
The fire destroyed a medical equipment store and the neighboring beauty salon. Firefighters battled the blaze for hours to keep it from spreading to New Covenant Church. Investigators say the fire was accidental and started in the medical store's heating and air conditioning system.
While crews worked to clean up what's left of the two businesses, next door, the church prepped for a feast for firefighters and police officers.
"This is just our way of saying thanks, not only on behalf of our church, but for all of those who never got to say thanks and needed this service," said pastor Keith Zachary. "So this is a thank you to the firemen and to the first responders."
Members of the church served jambalaya and cake, putting smiles on the faces of those who risked their lives.
"It really just touches my heart seeing how the community appreciates us, because I love this job. It's what I love to do," said firefighter Craig Trippi. "When I'm not working here I like to volunteer in French Settlement where I live at, and it's nice to see how much the community appreciates us."
"It's going to be appreciated by everybody that came and participated," said firefigher Craig Roberts. "It just makes you feel like somebody's actually paying you back for what you do, because a lot of people don't understand what we do."
The church only suffered minor smoke and water damage during the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tigerland Double Homicide Suspect Arrested
Tips on preventing house fires
Arrest of Tyrese Magee in connection with fatal Tigerland Shooting
Video of brawl after Scotlandville football game sparks two investigations
Rejoice! Days ahead of schedule, drivers seen using both sides of Sunshine...