Authorities seeking two suspects after deadly shooting on Industriplex Blvd.
UPDATE: The sheriff's office says Marcus Perkins is not being charged in the deadly Industriplex shooting at this time.
EBRSO announced plans to book Perkins on second-degree murder Monday afternoon. However, after delaying his move to prison, a spokesperson announced Perkins would no longer be facing charges at this time.
Check back for updates.
BATON ROUGE - Authorities have a suspect in custody after a shooting off Siegen Lane left one person dead Halloween night.
According to the East Baton Rouge Sheriff', the shooting took place where Industriplex Blvd. dead ends near Siegen Lane sometime before 9:30 p.m. Oct. 31. According to the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, 33-year-old Jonathan Briggs sustained fatal injuries as a result of the shooting.
The sheriff's office confirmed Monday that it had arrested 31-year-old Marcus Perkins in connection with the shooting.
Deputies say Perkins was seen leaving the area just after shooting and had actually been stopped by a deputy. That officer said Perkins directed him to the victim's location before fleeing.
Surveillance video and witness account led investigators to determine that Perkins was the same man who was seen fleeing the residence after Brigg's death and he was later arrested. He will be charged with second-degree murder.
WBRZ spoke with the victim's family in the days following the shooting. Briggs's cousin Monique Thompson said the news has devastated the family and the lack of information had left them frustrated.
"We're not even sure why he was in the area, what he was doing there or who he was with," Thompson said.
She said Briggs was a plant worker, a father of three young daughters, and a loving son. Thompson said it's especially hard for the family since his sister had already died of sickle cell anemia seven years earlier.
"My aunt (Briggs' mother) has already had to bury her baby girl and now she has to bury her baby boy and she doesn't even know why," she said. "He was a good guy, never in any trouble. The family just wants justice."
The sheriff's office says a second black male was also seen fleeing the scene on the night of the murder, but have not released further information on that individual.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tales of paranormal activity surrounding the Old State Capitol
The Louisiana Red Cross gives out free smoke alarms in two neighborhoods
LSU to wear uniforms saluting fallen WWI heroes Saturday
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $1 billion ahead of Friday drawing
Power restored in downtown Baton Rouge after electrical fire causes hours-long outage