Ascension schools back on campus one year after flood
ST. AMANT - Teachers and students in Ascension Parish got a head start on the school year Monday night.
Even though school doesn't start for a few more days, they got the chance to check out the restored buildings at St. Amant Primary and Middle schools.
The school celebrated the much-anticipated reunion almost a year after the flood forced them out of their classrooms.
While touring the new school, Kevin Mitchell, a third grade parent, was impressed with the progress made over the past year.
"It's good to have it back, it's good to have her back at her home campus for school back with all her friends and everybody else," Mitchell said.
The Ascension Parish School Board officially presented the newly renovated primary and middle school at a ribbon cutting Monday night. Parents and students reflected on the past school year and watched viewed a documentary about the flood.
The principals of both schools shared the obstacles they've had to overcome during the past 12 months.
"Last August our school community and communities abroad stopped at nothing to make sure our students could continue their learning in spite of our circumstances," St. Amant Primary school Principal Paisley Morgan said.
"It was difficult, it was a very difficult year for us, but we're moving forward," St. Amant Middle school Principal Christy Bourgeois said.
St. Amant Middle school cheerleaders like Abigail Clifton say they're excited to be back on their campus for things like practice.
"It's better to have our cafeteria and our gym back because we were struggling with practice and stuff like that," Clifton said.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tales of paranormal activity surrounding the Old State Capitol
The Louisiana Red Cross gives out free smoke alarms in two neighborhoods
LSU to wear uniforms saluting fallen WWI heroes Saturday
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $1 billion ahead of Friday drawing
Power restored in downtown Baton Rouge after electrical fire causes hours-long outage