Animals killed in barn fire
CENTRAL - A family is turning to the Internet to help rebuild their barn that burned to the ground Saturday with dozens of animals inside.
The fire at South Shamrock Stables on Blackwater Road killed 15 rabbits, 25 baby chicks and three goats.
Tom and Casey Maloy moved their family to the farm a year ago to provide healthy, homegrown food for their family and to teach their kids another lifestyle. The Maloys said the loss is devastating.
"It was the hardest on the kids," said Maloy.
Fire investigators believe the fire started from a heat lamp too close to combustibles. The fire took over the barn within minutes. Barns are not covered under homeowners insurance, so this is a total loss for the family of seven.
About 45 percent of the food the family eats is raised on the farm.
"In today's world, everybody is so busy with all the electronic devices and everybody worrying about what everyone's thinking and all the social media, I wanted my kids to at least understand that you don't have to live like that," said Maloy. "You can live a way more simpler life."
A horse, goat and some chickens survived. As word of the fire spread, the community was quick to step in and help.
"It's really heart warming what the community's done and how quickly they've come to and rallied around helping," said Maloy.
Neighbors brought feed and helped to put up fencing to secure the animals. A church nearby brought donations and friends set up a Go Fund Me account to help the family rebuild.