78°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

WWII veteran loses home in weekend fire

4 years 1 month 2 weeks ago April 08, 2013 Apr 8, 2013 Monday, April 08 2013 April 08, 2013 5:24 PM in News
Source: WBRZ
By: Ryan Naquin

BATON ROUGE - This weekend WWII veteran Calvin Collins lost everything he owned in a fire, and almost lost his life.

St. George Fire crews responded to Collins' Gardere home at 3:56 a.m. Sunday, just seven minutes after the first call, and the home was already half-engulfed in flames.

Collins, 86, and his son barely got out of the home. Investigators believe the fire started when a space heater was accidentally left too close to the bed.

It was a complete loss. War mementos, medicine, even Collins' car keys burned inside.

The American Red Cross is putting Collins in a hotel for the next few days. But after that, he has nowhere to go.

Collins is seeking help from the local Veterans Affairs office at this time.

News 2's Ryan Naquin will have more on his situation at 10 p.m.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days